Last week when I was putting together my "10 Random Things Which Are Taking Up My Time And Are The Reasons Why You Haven't Heard From Me In Like Forever" list, I started thinking about what I might put on a "10 Random Things About Me" list if I made one. And it was fun. So, here ya go...
1. I am a P.K. (Preacher's Kid) and the oldest of 11 children.
2. I am never not singing. Ever. I was once invited to sing two songs for a live television broadcast, and completely forgot the words to my first song. I made them up. The producers must not have known the words to the song either, because they asked me back to sing four more songs.
3. I met one of my dearest friends while waiting in line for a public restroom.
4. I got to speak with Spanky McFarland of "The Little Rascals" and "Our Gang" fame on the telephone. I called in on a radio program and answered an "Our Gang" trivia question correctly and won a pair of Justin Jr. Ropers (cowboy boots) from him. The trivia question? Which Our Gang character frequently said, "Oh-Tay!"? What would you have said? (Hint: It might not be who you think!)
5. I took up figure skating as an adult after dreaming of skating my whole life. I have a reoccurring dream that Brian Boitano has decided to compete in Pairs Skating and asks me to be his skating partner. No, I'm not kidding. I competed in two adult skating competitions and won gold medals at each. This sounds impressive until you find out that I was the only person in my age category competing on those days.
6. I didn't want to learn how to sew. My mother set up sewing lessons for me when I was 16 years old with a lady who lived in our neighborhood at the time. I went kicking and screaming. After one lesson with this sweet lady, I was hooked.
7. I hate sneezing, bad haircuts, getting poked, being tickled, grapefruit, big Texas tree roaches, stress, pretense, feeling manipulated, horseradish, losing an hour of sleep for Daylight Savings Time, and running out of an ingredient when I'm trying to bake.
I love thunderstorms, quilting fabric, purses, tapioca pudding, British accents, LOST, roses, delphinium, my kids' laughter, strawberries, sunflowers, getting a package in the mail, Tea Time, gaining an extra hour of sleep at the end of Daylight Savings Time, and everything listed here.
8. I have always loved books. I can appreciate e-readers (I use one myself), but there is nothing like holding a book in your hands, turning real paper pages, and looking at pictures. My favorite books as a child were Marshmallow by Clare Turlay Newberry, The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, The Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (esp. Book 11, The Clue of the Broken Locket) by Carolyn Keene, all of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, and From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg. As a child I dreamed of writing a book. I still do.
9. I have never tried sushi.
10. I can tend to be a bit star-struck. I had a Snoopy autograph book that I used to take with me to concerts as a child. I have no idea where it is today. When we visited Disney World a couple of years ago, we were ushered into the Meet and Greet with Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and I was nervous. Upon meeting Mickey, I blurted out giggling, "Oh! He kissed my hand!", and then proceeded to blush. After we left the room and walked up the corridor to get back to Main Street, U.S.A., I turned to John.
Me: "Did I really just do that?"
John: "Yes, Lisa. You really did."